Bargue-Gérôme Cours de dessin
8-Week Classical Drawing Course from the 19th Century
In the middle of the 19th century, as Modern Art began to usurp academic traditions, the French government decided to commission a classical drawing manual that could be used by art students in the lycées (or ‘secondary schools’) and academies in an effort to preserve the skills of the Old Masters.
Charles Bargue’s Cours de dessin (or ‘Drawing Course’) was produced in collaboration with Jean-Léon Gérôme and was designed to instruct art students in the methods of classical drawing. By copying the 197 lithographs in the drawing manual, it prepared students for cast drawing and later, life or figure drawing; thus, it loosely reflects the first year of traditional atelier training. The course is divided into three parts: (1) drawing after casts, (2) original master drawings, and (3) series of traditional poses of a model, in preparation for life drawing.
Charles Bargue's Cours de dessin follows a very methodical procedure to classical drawing. Starting with schematic lines, and finishing with perfectly modelled form, you will work through several of the plates within his drawing course manual. This course includes the following:
- Historical Overview of the 19th-Century Academic Tradition
- Developing Schema for your Drawing
- Understanding the Sight-Size Method
- Master Drawing Reproduction
- Measurement and Observation
- Value and Modelling
- All materials included
- 10% discount on art supplies
- Detailed hand-outs
- Practical exercises
- Slide & video presentations
- Refreshments provided
The Bargue-Gérôme Cours de dessin (Drawing Course) will be held at St. Patrick's Parish Centre, Loughboy, Kilkenny. See details below, or contact us to find out more and to enrol.
|1||St. Patrick's Centre
Loughboy, Kilkenny City
|8 Weeks||Wednesday||10.00am - 12.30pm||07 March - 02 May 2018||€ 160|
NOTE: There will be a one-week break on 04 April for Easter week.
Terms & Conditions
- Fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Classical Art Atelier reserves the right to cancel any course or workshop if the minimum number of students needed is not reached. In such cases, your fee will be fully refunded.
- It is recommended that you take out insurance to cover travel costs in the event that a course or workshop is cancelled.