Classical Figure Painting
Thursdays 3 – 24 February 2022
Evening Class 7pm-9pm
Duration: 4 Weeks / 2-Hour Class Each Week
Format: Live Online Zoom Course
Level: Intermediate / Advanced
This 4-week course shows you the classical approach to realist figure painting in oils – the methods and techniques, tools and materials, best practices and useful tips, and much more – which are currently being taught at realist painting academies worldwide.
Painting the nude figure in particular offers the greatest opportunity for understanding gesture, capturing proportion, turning form, and mastering the effects of subtle colour. You will be shown the core principles of figure painting that have been used for centuries:
- Applying a toned ground or campitura
- Taking accurate measurements and getting proportions right
- Emphasising a good sense of gesture using the dry-brush method
- Creating a ‘dead colour’ layer
- Big-form modelling
- Rendering forms in the first and second painting stages
- Carefully handling edges, transitions and retouching
We will also investigate the anatomy – skeleton and musculature – of our figure subject by doing several peripheral drawing studies.
In order to attain the highest perfection in painting it is necessary to understand the antique, nay, to be so thoroughly possessed of this knowledge that it may diffuse itself everywhere.
– Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640)
Please see further details including materials list (under “Requirements’) in the sections below.